Saturday, September 22, 2018

Rick Springfield concerts (and events) - 11/1/81 to 1987.

Since I'm going to his concert tomorrow night...I thought I would chronicle my many times I've seen Rick Springfield.  Here goes...

1. November 1, 1981 - Rainbow Music Hall, Denver,  Colorado.  I was 19 years old.  I had fallen in love with him after seeing him on 'Solid Gold' on October 24th of that year.  I bought his album and Rocky Mountain Records (the classic 'Working Class Dog') and after playing it over and over and over...I told my best friend and roommate, Jill Kindsfater that we had to go to this.  It was a Sunday night.  I remember we ate somewhere in Denver...(we didn't drink because we were too young...19!!)then, got to the venue and stood outside.  While standing in line...his van drove right by us...and I saw him inside!  I was thrilled!!  It was a small venue.  Our seats were not very close.  But, I thought it was the greatest! 

2. August 15, 1982 - Red Rocks, Morrison, Colorado.  Well, this was a VERY eventful day (and the night before!  See my blog 'Rick Rocks Red Rocks!'). Jill and I went again...and it was quite an ordeal...but, the bottom line is we made it and sat front and center!  The Greg Kihn Band opened for him.  Awesome concert!!!  Jill said we snuck in little liquor bottles.  But, I don't remember drinking too much. 

*November 16, 1982, General Hospital Set, Hollywood.  Have to include this...one week...ONE WEEK after I moved to LA...I met a star of General Hospital.  She invited me to the set.  I got to see the rehearsal of GH...got autographs of all the stars...and did eventually meet my idol...RICK! And I got his autograph!   I was so thrilled.  Just amazed!!!!  I'll write a blog about this soon...it's quite an amazing story!!!  I got his autograph but not a picture...I didn't bring a camera because I was trying to not look like a 'fan'...so no pic...:(

*May 16, 1983, Los Angeles Sports Arena, filming of 'Hard to Hold'.   Another great experience with him.  A great story that I will blog about soon as well.  Just unbelievable that I was able to be an extra in his movie.  Also unbelievable that I was placed in the front row right by the stage!!!! 12 hours with Rick singing 'Stand Up' and 'Love Somebody'...about 100 takes.  Exhausting...but an absolute dream come true.  I got his autograph here too.

* 1983...my friend Jayne tells me her handyman is also Rick's!  So, she knows his address.  I find his house in Toluca Lake, California!  I see his Ford Fiesta out front.  I drive by all the time... 

3.  Numerous nights in September, 1983 at Universal Amphitheater, Los Angeles.  I had moved to LA in October of 82.  Rick's album, 'Living in Oz' was released in the spring of 83 and was great!  He played several nights at the Universal Amphitheater.  I know I went to at least 3 nights.  One night...a friend of mine was able to get front row seats! (The friend was Lynn 'Tequila' Johnson...a gal I met as an extra on the set of 'Hard to Hold').;   I was in HEAVEN!!!!  I was completely sober!  That might have been the best.  The seats were closer to the stage than Red Rocks.  When he jumped down into the audience for 'Human Touch'...he was right next to me.  I helped get the girls off of him when it was time for him to get back on stage!  I had been there the night before so I knew he would jump down.  Also, one night I went with my friend Jayne and we got VERY drunk.  We tried to sneak up front as we didn't have good seats...and we got moved back.  So, I got mad...went to my car...and passed out with the windows rolled down!  Woke up and the parking lot was empty.  God knows what time it was...but, there I was with the windows down asleep in my car!  And my friend had hitch-hiked home!  We were both VERY lucky to be alive.  A crazy night and my first time drinking inhibited me enjoying the concert.  I had just turned 21.

* 1983...my friend Jayne tells me her handyman is also Rick's!  So, she knows his address.  I find his house in Toluca Lake, California!  I see his Ford Fiesta out front!  I drive by all the time. 

* April ?, 1984.   'Hard to Hold'  is released to very poor reviews. I took the day off to see the first showing at a theater in Hollywood.  I didn't like it very much.  You could not see me in the audience.

* July 7, 1984, Valley Spring Lane, Toluca Lake, California. I moved closer to him in Toluca Lake.  I always jogged past his house.  This morning...he jogged right past me a block from his house!  I'll blog about this too.  I moved after a month because I found something even closer to his house!!!

4. October ?, 1984, LA Forum.  This was after the release of his movie 'Hard to Hold'.  He was able to play the Forum and fill it!  Corey Hart (Sunglasses at Night) opened.  I went with my friend that I met on 'Hard to Hold'...Eric Johnson (Lynn's brother).  I remember I flew back from Denver that day after a visit to get to this concert.  I prayed the plane would not be late (or crash!).  I don't remember this concert very much...but, not because I was drinking.  This friend and I did not drink.  We were on the floor in the middle...quite a ways back...probably 20 rows back. 

Feb 14th, 1985, Toluca Lake...jogged by his house that morning...there was a for sale sign on the house!  NOOOOO..... it was a horrible day.  He was moving.  My friend and I went to the open house...acted like we were big wigs!  I got to see where he lived and ate and rehearsed!  His rehearsal room was above the garage.  There was an old drum box in there...I took it!  I still have it somewhere. There were murals on the walls of him and his dog...Ron...the working class dog.  I didn't take pics because in those days our cameras were big and I was afraid the realtor would notice!  Toluca Lake is beautiful!!!

* April ? , 1985.  He released the album 'Tao'.  I loved it.  I was joining the group 'Continental Singers' that May.  I drove from LA to Denver with my dad and had a tape recorder playing this over and over (poor Dad!).  It was and is one of my favorite albums.  I went on the tour with Continentals from May to August.  Rick toured for this album that summer.  Because I was on this singing tour...I didn't get to go. I was so upset that I couldn't go.  I almost wanted to leave the group to go!!  I regret missing that concert to this day!

*He disappeared from the scene for awhile.  I since learned he married his longtime girlfriend Barbara Jean Porter (he met her when she was a receptionist at his record company in 1980.  I was just a little late...I was a receptionist at a law firm out there...could've been me!?!!!) :).  They had two sons, Liam and Joshua.

*1987 he resurfaced and released his album 'Rock of Life' but didn't tour. 

* February ?, 1987, Hollywood.  My friend found out they were filming the show 'Top of the Pops' ...and Rick would be on!  She knew someone who could get us in.   We got there.  Rick was there...so was Ricks Astley and some metal group that sang 'Wait'...each would be on a different small stage on the sound set.  All the girls (me too) were camped around Rick Springfield's stage!  They kept trying to get us to move...to see Rick Astley (who was pretty big then!) and the other group...but, no one would move.  I certainly wouldn't as we were in the very front.  So, finally my Rick came on...he was performing the song, 'Rock of Life'....right in front of me...but, he kept forgetting the words.  I said, "I know the words!".  Anyway...he left the state...and his drummer, Jack White, started talking to me!  My goodness...if I had flirted and played my cards right...I could've maybe gotten him??  He ended up marrying Katey Sagal of 'Married with Children'.  Shoot.  Well, I am friends with him on Facebook now!!   Rick came back out and performed...another great time with Rick!

Well...that album didn't do much.  He didn't tour again that I know of in the 80s.  I ended up in a bad relationship...and eventually moved back to Colorado in the 90s.  So, that's my stories of Rick in the 80s.  But, wait there's more...

To be continued on next blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment