Friday, December 11, 2020

My Buddy

 

My Buddy…a tribute:

This little dog entered my life in August of 2017.  I was walking down Pearl Street in Boulder with a friend and there was a pet shop that we entered.  In this shop, they also had a dog rescue.  We started talking to the owner and she asked if I wanted a dog.  I explained that since my precious border collie, Harley had died two years earlier…I hadn’t wanted another one and still wasn’t ready for one.  But, she asked IF I were ready…what would I want?  I said I would want a smaller dog and an older dog that is trained and well-behaved.  She immediately thought of this guy.  She only had a picture and his name was ‘Bo’…which happened to be the nickname of my long-time BF that I had lost around the same time as my other dog.  I saw that as a ‘sign’ for some reason!

I said I would think about it.  She said I could just foster it and see how it goes.  So, the next week I decided to do that…to foster him.  I had never seen him…just a picture.  So, I met the gal who had been fostering him at the store (the store had saved him from a kill shelter in Houston and this gal fostered him for a week)…and she hands me this little mangy looking guy with crooked teeth sticking out…and off she goes!  Well, I went into the store to fill out the paperwork…and it said I had ownership for $95 (with the amount $495 crossed out!).  I asked why I had to pay to foster a dog.  And the young gal who was there that day said…”oh, you’re not fostering him…you’re adopting him!”.  Then, I asked why it was $95 instead of $495…and she said he was a discount because he was so old and nobody wanted him!! 

Well, that was it.  I figured how bad could it be for $95!?!  He became ‘mine’ on a Sunday afternoon in Boulder, Colorado, August 13th, 2017.  My friend and I walked around Pearl Street with him…and everyone who saw him said…”Hey, little Buddy”…so, that became his name.  Officially: Buddy Bo Olsen.

The pet shop had arranged a visit to a vet as part of the adoption…so, off we went in my Dad’s old Buick to Denver to the vet they recommended.  This vet determined he was around 8 to 10 years old…and that his teeth needed looked at.  He also walked funny so they took x-rays of his hind quarters.  After half a day of leaving him there…out comes my dog with a bloody nose and shaking…they pulled ALL his teeth!  My new dog was toothless!  Also, there was nothing wrong with his legs…he just walked ‘funny’. 

So, this was it…me and my dog go home to Greeley to live with my Kikki Kat…who I thought would love having another dog around…as she loved all the other dogs I’d had around her.  But, NOOOOO…the cat did NOT like this dog.  Constantly hissing at it and acting very unhappy to have it around!  I don’t know if it was due to the size of Buddy…or just the fact that this was the CAT’S house…and no one new was allowed (all the other dogs I’d had were there before her!)…or the fact that he was half blind and couldn’t see her and ran into her all the time??   So, I decided it wasn’t fair to do this to my long-time cat and was going to take him back and say it wasn’t working out.  But, my friend knew someone who also had a dog rescue and she wanted him.  So, I took him to this woman.  She lived in a trailer with a bunch of other dogs.  I knew right away that Buddy loved walking…well, this lady was old and didn’t walk the dogs.  She also said she wasn’t going to place him but wanted to keep him because he was so ‘special’.  Well, I left him there one night…and after that night…I thought…I can’t leave him with her!  Whether the cat likes it or not…he’s coming back!  Til the very end…my cat’s never seemed to like him…but, boy has she been looking for him now!! 

My dog…my little Buddy was with me for 3 years, 3 months and 15 days until he suddenly just couldn’t walk on one of our walks around the mall.  I didn’t think too much of it…hoping it was just a fluke.  I took him home and he got worse very quickly and couldn’t stand or even go to the bathroom that night.  He was still eating and drinking well…but since he couldn’t go to the bathroom,  that was not necessarily a good thing. 

We got through the night and to the vet first thing in the morning.  She was already concerned about him and thought it might be time to go.  Of course, I couldn’t bear that thought and wanted a second opinion.  The 2nd vet agreed.   I could have spent lots of time and money with him in the hospital…but, I did not want him to suffer through all that.  So, we made it through one more night…but, by Friday morning, December 4th  I could tell it was time to consider my options.  I had a nice vet here who kindly took him and made all the arrangements for a peaceful transition for him to cross the Rainbow Bridge. 

He left me on Friday, December 4th at approximately 3:00 pm.  And just like that my angel was gone. 

I wanted to write this out and also write a little about this guy.  First of all…he WAS an angel…and I believe sent to me by my parents in Heaven.  In fact, I could just hear my mom saying to my Dad…”Dale we’ve got to give her something to love”!  The serendipitous way that I just walked into that shop…how that woman was cognizant that he’d be a good one for me…even that his name was ‘Bo’ and how that seemed like a ‘sign’…and then when they messed up and said…’Oh…you’re adopting him”…well, it all just seemed like it was ‘meant to be’.

This dog was so perfect in so many ways.  He was so well-behaved…so loving…he loved everyone and everyone loved him.  If you were lucky enough to have ever met him…you know what I mean.  After his teeth were pulled…his little tongue hung out of his mouth.  It was so cute!  Having no teeth never stopped him from eating!  What a little piggy he was.  Mom was a spoiler too (would have been with real kids too!).  I’m sure I fed him too much…and he got ‘stout’ (just like his mom??).  But, I always thought he was ‘ok’.  I sure hope that didn’t lead to his legs going bad…maybe it did.  But, I just always wanted him to be happy!!

Some of his quirks…included…his gait.  As I said, they always thought his legs were ‘bad’ and that something was wrong…but, one day at the dog park…he was walking next to a French Bull Dog…and they had the exact same hind quarters and the same gait!  So, I always thought he was part ‘Bull Dog’.  In fact, after all this time and never really knowing what breed or mix he was…it was just the other day at the dog park (his favorite dog park was the one at the old Fort Collins High School…off of Peterson and Lake) that a gal told me that she thought he was a ‘Schnoodle’…part Schnauzer, part Poodle.  So, I looked it up and I think that’s what he was!  Finally, I learned…a Schnoodle!!!  And if you look it up…it says they look like a living Teddy Bear.  That’s what he was…my little stuffed bear come to life!!  Oh how I adored that dog…

He rubbed his face in blankets…always loved rubbing his face…especially after eating for some reason…like he was rubbing his whiskers clean!?!  He also loved ‘digging’ at the floor or a rug for some reason.  It was like he needed to ‘dig at it’ to get it ready for him to lie down somewhere. 

He loved peas!  He’d eat canned peas (of course the ones without salt!).  It was one of his favorite things…along with carrots, green beans and the occasional jicama!  He was a picky, quirky eater.  Rotisserie chicken from Sprouts was a favorite too... and it was his last meal. 

Along with the dog park…we loved walking around the CSU trial gardens there at Remington and Lake. And one thing I will always remember was not only how much he loved the dog park and visiting the other dogs there…but, how he had to visit EVERY person at the dog park and make sure they saw him and petted him.  He loved the people as much as the other dogs there.  On our last visit there the Monday before he died…he ran…yes, ran with the other dogs.  I’ll never forget it. 

 He lived with me in three places…starting in Greeley.  He went through some traumatic things there with me there that some of you know about! L But, also including a move to Fort Collins and into our favorite house…an old charmer,  near Old Town just north of the CSU campus.  That was his longest residence.  Oh…how he loved that house…the big yard that he could dig in…and the fenced in front yard where he could bark at and run up to the dogs walking by!  Then a move to a not-so-great condo…but, still got used to it and had a little fenced in area that was ‘his’.  He was always ready for a walk.  Always ready for bed…just when I said it…he’d follow me in to the room.  I always had to lift him…whether into the bed or into the car.  Oh…the car.  What a buddy he was for me in my car.  He rode with me EVERYWHERE…well, that is whenever I ‘had’ a car…Dad’s Buick, my Lyft rental cars, my friend’s car that he let me use…or my wonderful ‘new’ car that I finally was able to get!  Thankfully, I got our favorite car…a Lexus SUV…for his last few months on earth and it was perfect for him to ride in the back.  He rode with me on Lyft rides, delivery jobs, trips to Denver and Palmer Lake to see my cousins.  He was my riding buddy.  I can barely get into my car now without him…wondering where he was.  It’s just not the same anymore.  One of our last outings was a regular trip to Sonic…where we’d sit together and eat…I’d get him a Jr. cheeseburger.  He loved our rides.

Lastly, he got to spend many days with my dear friend Carol at her house…who at 90 years old…was gracious enough to allow me to bring him there.  He was a joy to her and she was good to him.  I’m so grateful that he brought her joy…doing all of those quirky things…rubbing his face on her bed runner…digging on the carpet (bad dog!)…and giving her unconditional love.  He would eat his peas for dinner…sit by the table and have a few scraps (mostly carrots and healthy things!).  He was never a pest or problem...oh occasionally he’d always be laying right where she needed to walk!  And the walks there …oh…he loved walking in her neighborhood so much.  I’m so grateful for this time we had there.  One more cute thing I’ll never forget…is how it was late at night when I’d leave her house…and I’d have to wake him up to get him home.  When we arrived home…my kitty kikki was always there to come up to my car to greet us.  She’d try to love on Buddy…he just really didn’t know what to make of her!?! 

My angel is in heaven now. I am not able to understand why he had to go…especially now at Christmas.  That dog was my everything…my best friend and constant companion.  I almost took a Thanksgiving trip and was trying to find someone to take care of him.  But, honestly, I didn’t want to leave him…not even for a few days.  I’m so glad now that I didn’t.  He and I had a nice turkey dinner together.  And I’m so glad that due to this virus…I was able to spend so much time with him here at home.  Even though he slept most of the time…we were together… a lot.  It meant the world to me to have that time with him. 

My mother recorded some of her piano playing a few years ago before she passed.  One song she included was ‘My Buddy’…an old standard written in 1922.  I never heard mom play it very much…so, when I realized she had recorded it…I was surprised…and thought…oh, you did this for my dog!  Now, it takes on a whole new meaning and bittersweet feeling.  I lost ‘My Buddy’.  Oh, please be there in heaven with my parents, grandparents and my other dogs for me…PLEASE…

 

 

MY BUDDY:

Nights are long since you went away

I think about you all through the day

My Buddy, My Buddy

Nobody quite so true.

 

I miss your voice, the touch of your hand

I long to know that you understand

My Buddy, My Buddy.

Your buddy misses you.

I miss you…

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment